The activities of the department of local affairs include:
- Administrative control of the decisions of municipalities, syndicates of municipalities and public institutions under the supervision of municipalities, particularly in the following areas:
- Local regulations;
- Municipal personnel;
- Public procurement;
- Real estate transactions;
- Agreements and lease contracts.
The department also provides advice to the municipal sector in these areas.
- The organisation of eligibility, final admission and promotion exams in the municipal sector as well as necessary training courses;
- Legal advice to the municipalities;
- Organisation of elections (general municipal elections, complementary elections, elections after dissolution of the municipal council), follow-up on changes in the composition of municipal bodies (resignations, nominations, swearing-in, call for the next in line), and of motions of censure;
- Support for municipalities in the context of mergers;
- consultation with the social partners in the municipal sector.