The range of competence of the ministry of interior is fixed by the grand ducal decree about the constitution of ministries.
The ministry is departmentalized in the ministerial cabinet and 6 departments:
- Department of local affairs;
- Department of local finance;
- Local government Audit Department;
- Department of legal advice;
- Department of municipal planning and urban development;
- Department of Civil Security.
The Corps grand-ducal d'incendie et de secours is under the authority of the Ministry of Home Affairs.